Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Searching for Snow


One winter about eight years ago we jumped in the car to go searching for snow. I would’nt say that it was my wild days back then, I was just a little bit less responsible than now. We drove around lesotho and the closest we came to snow was to see it on the peaks of the Drakensberg. We stayed in a lodge at the bottom of the hill just before you go to Tiffendel – SA’s famous ski resort.

On our way we had breakfeast in the free state I think at a cold cold town called Smithfield, where we were informed by the locals that it snowed there a week earlier.

I have only seen snow twice in my life or rather touched snow twice. Once was in 1995 in the town I grew up in – it snowed for the first time in 20 years. The last time was about 2 or 3 years ago in Joburg but it only lasted for about 2 days before the sun melted it all away.

Well that was my wild weekend of driving – all in the name of snow.

2 comments:

  1. Next time when it starts snowing, I'll let you know! you can pack the husband & kids and come stay with me & take the kiddies to play in the crisp Eastern Cape snow!

    xx

    ReplyDelete