Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A storage box full of memories

I emptied out my drawers at work today.

Ten years ago I started here as a shy receptionist. The lady that came and did the switchboard training had to show me how to put staples in the stapler. She was a Godsend that day. I haven’t told anyone up until this day. Heaven knows why I am writing it in my blog.

As the days moved on I became more confident. The one thing I could do well at the time when I knew nothing was to show up for work. 50% of success is showing up they say. I was hungry to learn and absorb information. It was the one chance that I had to take and make the most of.

Does confidence come with time? I don’t know. I do know that you grow through experience. Things, good or bad, happen for a reason.

The storage box is on my desk. Between most of the things are photos of my children and one wedding photo. Isn’t it amazing how everyone always seems to glow on their Wedding photos? I thought I could conquer the world that day. I was ready for anything. My one friend and I always agree on one thing (and we were married a week apart at the same venue): the first day of the 1st anniversary there was trouble in paradise.

Well we had to live through that I suppose. Seven years later I still love my husband. I know what irritates him and what doesn’t and vice versa.

My storage box is packed. My drawers are empty. 40kms from here a brand new office is waiting for me to build new memories.

I am leaving a portion of my life behind. All I can say is thank you.

Life has treated me well. I am so fortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment