Friday, May 14, 2010

Dear Dad...

Dear Dad,

I’m not mad at you. At the time when all the following things happened in my life, I was furious.

I played hockey every Saturday in the winter months from Std 6 to Std 10.
I would have loved for you to be at one game.

I was in the girls shooting squad and we traveled all over.
I thought you could at least watch me shoot target once.

I was part of the Vaal Reefs Netball team.
All I wanted you to do was to attend one practice or game.-

I sang in the School Choir.
Maybe my voice would have made you clap if you came and watched.

I married the man of my dreams.
You were there Dad, but your refused to speech about your own daughter.
At least someone saved the day for me Dad. Someone who felt my pain. Someone who wanted me to have good memories when I think back on my Wedding day. He stood up and showed you how it is supposed to be done. He did not have to do it, Dad. I wasn’t his daughter for 26 years.


I got my Diploma in HR in 2004.
I stood alone on the stage, with my Husband clapping and smiling from below.
Yu were supposed to be proud of me that day, Dad.


My 1st Child was born in 2004.
Again you were absent. It was the first grand child. Where is the pride in that,Dad?

My 2nd Child is 8 months old.
Maybe if you put in a little effort, you can see his face for the first time.

The day you invited me to your 2nd Wedding after Mom died I declined. You resent me for that. Maybe it works both ways Dad.

Can you now understand why I miss my Mother so much? She was the only one who was interested in my Life, Dad.

My question is why do we always remember the absent times, and fail to hang on to the good times?

Because those were the times that mattered to me.

1 comment: