Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The mistake...

Yesterday in the waiting room at the Pediatrician I peeped at the lady sitting next to me’s baby boy. He looked so small for six weeks. Her little girl was sitting on her lap. So I said that it’s good to have one of each, the boys are just a little closer to your heart.

The words that came out of her mouth send shockwaves through me. She just blurted out that he wasn’t supposed to be there, that he was a mistake. I was a complete stranger, but I still had the heart of a mother.

I have seen the tears in some women’s eyes when they talk about waiting to get pregnant - the one thing that leaves a special mark in your life as a woman. And now I have experienced the opposite. I don’t know how much I was supposed to read into those words. Is it something that you just tell someone you have never seen in your life? Is it something that you tell your child when he is old enough to understand?

The dr called our surname and I had to say something that I hoped would stay with her:

“Like I said, boys are closest to your heart.”

Once I heard these words: People that say "it just happened" have been trying for a long time. I will find comfort in that.

3 comments:

  1. That is sick. How can that women say that after experiencing his birth and seeing him for the first time. How can she look at him and think he is a mistake. Does she even care for him. Sjoe, i am shocked. You are a much stronger women then me, i would of most probably taken the child. That poor baby. xxx Everything ok at the Paed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( That is terrible ... that poor child !
    Honestly I believe I would have told her she doesnt deserve to be a mother if she can even think like that ... Makes me so angry :( How is that child gonna feel is whole life :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. All fine at the Paed tx Martie

    Yes I have heard of many "glipsies" but the moment they are born all is forgotten and he or she is loved!!!

    You know how it is when they are born..the love..I am crying now sorry..LOL

    ReplyDelete