Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Jasper

I used to be Supergirl and he used to be Super..something... We wrote each other every day. After school he would send his little brother with the letter he wrote in Gym class or some class where there was nothing to do. Poor thing had to do everything his big brother said, he was like the slave and we were the masters.

He wrote the most interesting letters. I used to think that he would become a writer eventually. It wasn’t necessarily letters about love, more about life and everything in it. He wrote about the way he saw the world, and his dreams and visions. We only had one class together, I think it was Maths. One day he asked me out, and I said yes. Things did not change. We were still best friends writing each other every day. Maybe I expected a little bit more, or too much.

Three months later I broke his heart when the Clown of the Matric class asked me out and I said yes. I couldn’t resist, after all it was someone I had my eye on since I entered that school. The letters stopped. He never talked to me again.

I don’t know what happened to Jasper. He left school at the end of that year. Later I heard from a friend that he went to the Technical school 13kms away.

I held on to his letters for a couple of years after that and threw it away when the time came. I haven’t spoken about him to anyone. Like everyone else he played a role in my life and I have to write something about him for old time sake

No comments:

Post a Comment