Thursday, June 4, 2009

When your child is lost

We were at the Barney show at the Dome 2008. I only turned my back for a second to put the cup in her bag. The next moment she was gone. My husband and I started shouting at each other. He blamed me, I blamed him. My whole body went limb. Where would one start searching with children running all around you, and only one of them could be yours.

We ran up and down in the isles calling her name. Every time I called her name I got a little bit sadder, and the calls for her came out more desperate. It must have been a couple of minutes that felt like hours. Lots of things went through my mind. I panicked, I cried, I trembled, I blamed myself for being so stupid to let my child out of my sight for a split second. I didn’t even listen to my husband shouting and expecting me to pull a child out of a hat.

Then I saw her running in one of the back isles entertaining the people with her smile and dance moves. I ran and I grabbed her and held her close to my chest with tears streaming down my cheeks. She didn’t understand why I behaved the way I did. He grabbed her from me. It was almost like he was going to have a hawkeye on her for the rest of the show, or for the rest of her life for that matter.

A big purple dinosaur appeared on stage, and everything I experienced during those few terrifying moments flew out the arena when he started singing:” I love you, you love me, we’re a happy family…”

No comments:

Post a Comment