Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Old House


Whenever I dream of my childhood I always dream of the house I grew up in. I can still remember the day the moving truck pulled in front of the house in 1982, I was about 4 years old. They day I left I was 18 years old, and about 2 years after that my parents moved to another house in the same town.

When I visit my hometown I drive past it just before I take the big road to the City. The new owners cut off the big Pine with the swing where I used to spend my childhood days daydreaming. It’s just not the same without the tree. Maybe when we left the tree’s time had come too. They have no children I suppose, or all the Pine needles just made too much of a mess in their yard that they had to cut it off.

Sometimes I wish that I would find the house empty so I can peep through the windows for one last time. Maybe walk around the house and gather some long forgotten memories.

The street in front of the house has also gone quiet. We spent our weekends playing ball with the children across the street until 8pm at night. I wonder if the people in the small towns now also live in fear like we do.

Life used to be so simple back then.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh, i am very very very lucky that I live 2km down the road from my parents who STILL stay in the same house. I also feel a special kind of feeling when I walk in, like all the momories just come back.

    Keep the memories! I suppose its all we have, long gone are the days of playing cricket in the street and having teh cars stop so you can run and get the ball. Ahhhh, what nice days! Now the kids play WII and get fat!

    ReplyDelete