Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The best friends Mother

“I hope she’s not dating him is she? The poor guy has nothing to grab on to.”

I can remember her fishing for answers that October afternoon. It was my best friend’s mother who wanted to be aware of every move we make. Of course she got me blushing. Oh no, I thought, this was a mistake. When she offered to do my hair for the Matric farewell I did not realize it would come with a price.

She forgot one thing. I was her daughter’s best friend. I knew of all the special moments, and certainly not any detail someone would discuss with their mother. My friend and I did of course share everything, we still do. Somehow her mother wanted to be a part of us but we didn’t let her. She had her time to be young we figured.

From the moment I met her mother I realized there was something a little different about her. Yes, we wanted to know everything. And no, we were not ready for everything. To be honest if someone would ask me today what I had learnt from her I would say absolutely nothing. One has to leave the exploring to yourself I’d say. Maybe I was so embarrassed that I never listened to anything she said.

It’s funny. Her question still sticks in my mind after many years. Truth is, she used another word instead of “dating” and I’m too shy to put it in my Blog.

Of course I lied.

No comments:

Post a Comment