Monday, May 18, 2009

The First Flight

“Come on, come on, we are going to be late!!” Oh heck, I think, did I mention one have to sit for 3 hours in front of the airport doors before the bus arrives that takes you to your plane? It is her first time flying, and she is nervous.

“Get us some coffee; we don’t want to miss that plane!” I get my nervous sister some coffee. And oh, of course, that plane is waiting for us.

‘The bags, watch the bags!” I put the bags in front of me to put her mind at ease.

“Are we really doing this?” It’s too late to turn back now, I think. We got a lift here, remember. That person is halfway home already.

Its half past three on a Thursday morning in early April 2007, we are on our way to Cape Town to visit the family. Whilst standing in the Coffee queue I had to call her, because one of the gay guys queuing had the smell of a roman god. I thought it would take her mind off things..

“What if the plain falls?” Don’t say it out loud, I think. There are people here that are just as nervous as you. But it’s too late, by now we have everyone’s attention.

Some people read the morning paper, like it is an everyday occurrence and just another morning flight to Cape Town. You can spot a Jetsetter from a mile away.

“Are we at the right gate?” I read the tickets for the millionth time. Yip.

2 Hours later the bus arrives to take us to our plane.

When we eventually lift of, it is I that grab her arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment