Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Running for Mom

It’s 5 o’clock Sunday morning. He puts on his running shoes and can almost sense my frustration when he looks over his shoulder. “Don’t worry honey, you’ll run again, we’ll buy you a new pair of running shoes when the time comes.” Although there is nothing wrong with my running shoes, I realize that he is trying to make me feel better.

It was nice to run with my partner. I had to stop because of the pregnancy, although there are women who run well into their 2nd trimester, we could not take any chances this time – doctors orders. I have run 5kms, 10kms & 21kms in my life, early on a Saturday or Sunday morning when most people like to sleep in because it is weekend. I have seen men dress up as ladies when it is a ladies race only, arranging for some humor along the way and at the same time getting their bodies in shape, in disguise. My sister & I have walked allot of 10kms talking, only realizing an hour later that the time was so short for all the things we wanted to gossip about!

I ran 21kms along the Hartbeespoortdam 2 years ago when I was supposed to attend my fathers wedding. The view was much better, the people friendlier, and to save myself from crying I did something good for my body instead. My thoughts were with my mother all the way. I have had a hard time letting go of Mom, I wasn’t ready for a stepmother all stuffed up in my face.

We all had to get a replacement when she died. Mine is a love for running.

No comments:

Post a Comment