Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The joy of Tradition

1 March 2003. My father & I were waiting at the back of the church for the Wedding March to make our grand entrance, and of course for the music to start. Everything was perfect up until then, my sister took care of things from the minute we got at the venue and I was amazed that we were indeed a winning team. Did I say up until then everything was perfect?

The only song that played at that moment was “Breathe on me” from the Hillsongs Group. When the DJ had to restart that song for the 3rd time I realized something was up…. I could hear the whispers from the guests… Oh no, I thought, where the hell is the Groom? What has happened to the Wedding March, and are we at the right church??!!

My brother came walking around the building ask what the hold-up was and that the people were waiting. So were we…for the Wedding March!!! It turns out the lovely Groom that was about to become my husband changed the song the last minute. Of course, I thought, he has been living on his own planet for the last 27 years where there was no Wedding, Easter or Christmas traditions in place.

I did not walk down the isle on the Wedding March that day. It did not make a difference anyway, the man I have been waiting for for 24 years was going to be mine, and we had the rest of our lives to work on our own traditions together. What is in a song?

Last Christmas Claudia and I decorated the tree. She was all excited about the fairy lights and was dancing away in our living room. She asked her dad to put the Angel on top of the tree. I could see the tears in his eyes later that evening when he said thank you for bringing such joy to our lives every Christmas. Now that is what I call tradition.

1 comment:

  1. That's a beautiful wedding tale and a lovely Christmas story!

    ReplyDelete