Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Picture Brain


I have a big imagination. That is why till this day I don’t watch Horrors, yip, I still get nightmares coz I don’t know where to draw the reality line. The one who laughs the last might not necessarily catch the joke. That is all me, I laugh the longest and I do get the joke, it is just that it plays off in my mind over and over and then I have to laugh again…and again..and again.

I can narrow the cause of my big imagination down to when I was little. I was the middle child, with middle-child-sindrome. My sister was in school when she was supposed to play with me and my brother only made his arrival six years later, so that left me home alone with my Mother to keep me company until I was ready for big school. But being so little you even get bored with your Mother, as a child you love exploring and you are pretty much on your own mission most of the time.

When I was older my Mother once told me about the imaginary friends I had. The rabbit and the bear seemed to escape my mind, but the rest I can still remember till this day. I should have never told my sister about any of them, coz she still tortures me..

My Father always yelled at me when he saw me talking to myself. He would ask me if I was mad. I tried to stay clear of him. I went into hiding and just talked and played coz it was the very thing that I enjoyed and as a child I wasn’t ready to give that up yet – the imaginary world where I could escape to when times got too lonely.

So nowadays when my four year old runs through the house in her princess dress imagining she is princess Holly and talking to Ben the Elve I just let her be, and my husband knows not to interfere. Even though she is in nursery school with friends unlike me when I was little, she is the same child I was all those years ago. When she went to nursery school I was a bit sad coz I thought we would skip the whole imaginary friends part, but they seemed to be back after 26 years feeding my childs imagination. So I don’t know if I really was lonely back then. I had the love and comfort from my Mother, which was enough, and maybe I just needed that little bit more.

At the moment I am not the parent that questions everything she does.

Life is there to for us explore. Wheter we are 4 or 40.

No comments:

Post a Comment