Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A place called hospital


It must have been 2 or 3 years ago when my child ended up in hospital with a bad chest infection. Like I have always said to the mothers on the forum, I don’t wish that on anybody. It is the worst feeling when you see your child in a hospital bed, and you as a mother has done every possible thing you can and now the doctors has to take over. We are supposed to protect them, be there for them. You feel like the biggest failure. I cried even before she was admitted, because as a mother you just know that she is going to be admitted whether you like it or not.

So my father in law had to make a scene in the middle of all this. He just hemiliated me more, you have no idea how it feels to have the Hospital Manager stand next to your bed and try to explain that only 2 adults are allowed per bed in the Childrens ward, and the rest would have to wait their chance outside. It’s a hospital, of course there are reasons to the rules and regulations.

I felt so bad about everything. In the middle of being worried sick about my child, I still went and appologised to the security woman at the entrance. No one else would bother, and unlike my inlaws being set in their ways I treat everyone equal and with respect. She was there, doing her job, was it so difficult to understand?

The day my daughter came home we flew to Cape Town and the salt and humidity in the fresh Cape Town air helped to clear up any mucus that was left, so she was her old self again after just one day.

We had a wonderful time those few days. That’s all we needed after that horrible experience that left us empty as a parents.

I felt fresh and ready for motherhood again when we returned.

No comments:

Post a Comment