Monday, November 2, 2009

The New Brother

When our son was born our daughter was a little bit dissapointed. Her father said that the doctor will cut me open and then her brother will jump out and grab her around the neck, and being a small child with a big imagination, she believed him. I sometimes fight with him because he tells her all these stories and she hangs on to every word he says.

“But he sleeps the whole time,” she said after the first few days at home. So, the precious times when he is awake I call her to hold his hand or massage cream into his hands and feet. She fights with me when I clean his ambilical cord. He cries cause he is cold I try and explain, but to no avail, she thinks I am torturing her brother.

“This is my brother and not yours!” she yells to her cousin when they come and visit.

“I know,” Emma answers patiently.

“Emma just wants to have a look love, and besides, you can share him,” I try and keep the peace so that no one feels left out.

Another year or so and they will all three be running around the house, then they can finally play with the long awaited brother/cousin.

3 comments: